FOCUS ON LINDI REGION
Lindi region is in the South- Eastern part of Tanzania mainland and is among of the coastal regions. It lies between latitudes 7 degree 55 south and 10 degree S and Longitude 36 degree 51E and 40 degree E. It has a common border with Morogoro and Pwani regions in the west and Ruvuma region in the east. It also shares borders with Mtwara region in the south and indian ocean in the East.
- SIZE AND ADMINISTRATION
The region has a total area of 67,000km2 of which 18,000km2are under the famous Selous Game reserve . The Region’s area is 7.1 percent of the Tanzania mainland.
Administratively, Lindi region is divided into 5 districts namely, Kilwa, Ruangwa, Nachingwea, Lindi and Liwale. The region is also divided into 6 councils namely Kilwa, Ruangwa, Nachingwea, Lindi, Liwale and Lindi Municipal. There are 28 division, 142 wards, 541 villages, 2385 Hamlets and 80 streets.
- ETHNIC GROUPS IN LINDI REGION.
Ethnic groups in Lindi region includes the Bantu groups of Makonde (Found in Lindi, Kilwa and Nachingwea districts), Makua (Found in Nachingwea district), Mwera (Found in Lindi, Nachingwea, Ruangwa and Kilwa districts), Matumbi (Found in Kilwa and Liwale districts), and Magingo (Found in Liwale district).
- TOURISM ATTRACTIONS IN LINDI REGION
- Hippopotamus at River Nyange in Kilwadistrict .
- Nice beaches with white sand, Selous game reserve which occupies big part of Liwale suitable for hunting and game viewing.
- Fish farming along the coast for fish in fresh waters of rivers and indian ocean (Lindi and Kilwa).